Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Logic

So, I had been seeing a guy for a while and got distracted, but that ended about a month or so ago.  Before I became exclusive with him I had been talking to another gent.  About 3 weeks ago we reconnected and have been spending hours a day on the phone (one day for 4 hours!).  We had a date scheduled  for this past Saturday, but he cancelled for family reasons.  We continued to talk all weekend though.  He told me about his past, which included many run ins with the law as a child, up until the age of 14.  Yesterday I thought to ask him if he had ever been arrested.  Later he told me that I had only asked him that because he was black.  I was dumbfounded!  I will not repeat the kind of trouble he got in as a child here, but given all he had told me this reaction was utterly rediculous!  I asked him "Is it more logical that I asked you that because of everything you told me about your past, or because you are black?"  He went off on "woah is me" rampage about being black and I don't know what it's like.  Don't get me wrong, I know there are racist people everywhere.  And I may not know what it feels like to be judged by color, but I know what it feels like to be judged!!!  I tried to explain all of this to him, but he wouldn't hear it.  I told him he was basically calling me racist, but he said he wasn't.  I explained I had dated other black men and none of them seemed to have such a problem with the world, in regards to their race. It probably has a lot to do with his upbringing, why he sees the world the way he does.  The part that pissed me off was that after he said that to me he ignored me the rest of the night.  We had a phone date, I tried to call, he wouldn't answer.  After thinking about it more I realized even more how rediculous his reaction was.  Asking him if he had ever been arrested after him telling me at least 3 stories about his run ins with the law seemed pretty logical to me. And here I was trying to give the guy a chance, despite his past.  Where was the logic in that?

2 comments:

  1. The guy is the opposite of Mr. Spock. How is that for dorky? ;) Really though, the more I head about him the more f'd up the guy sounded. Glad to hear you're not putting up with it & moving on. <3

    ReplyDelete